Montale Castle sits on a circular hill located on the border with the municipality of Serra de’ Conti....
Documented for the first time in 1223 as the property of the Bishop of Senigallia, it was destroyed twice by Rocca Contrada (first in 1250 and then again in 1280) in their attempt to conquer this very important defensive outpost. Worthy of note are the walkway at the northern end and the watch tower at the southern end, which was reused and re-proposed as the bell tower for the Church of S. Silvestro, rebuilt after 1830. The use of brickwork dominates both the interior and the boundary walls.
MuseumState archaeological museum
HistoricCultural centre S.Francesco